Hanji – Korean traditional papermaking workshop
This extremely popular course is now fully booked, however places are available on the waiting list. You may also register your interest for a repeat of the course next year. Please contact Yunsun Choi at email@example.com.
This is the first time that the Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism, Korea is hosting a traditional papermaking course in Korea, in partnership with the Korea Craft and Design Foundation.
The workshop will provide an opportunity to see and learn how Hanji is made by ‘masters of Hanji’ and how different processes impact the finished product.
Location: Moon-Kyung and Jun-Ju, South Korea
Date: 8 – 11 December 2015
Participants must arrive at Inchon International Airport by 7th of December 2015.
Transport, accommodation, course fee and meals will be provided. Participants should make their own way to/from Inchon International airport from the country of their origin.
The workshop will be hosted by Hanji Masters demonstrating the traditional way to prepare and make Korean paper.
- Basic orientation on Hanji
- Demonstration and practical session on how to harvest, store and process mulberry bush and learn how different methods will change the finished product
- Demonstration and practical session on how to peel and pound mulberry bush
- Demonstration on how to prepare the traditional alkaline solution to cook mulberry bush
- Class on different varieties of tools to prepare mulberry fibre
- Papermaking and drying
- Demonstration on how to prepare and process once the paper has dried
- Class discussion
If you are interested in participating in the workshop please send a short CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.